Thursday 19 January 2012

College Work


As promised, I didn't wait too long to post again! Here is today's work. This is one of my college pieces and as such is more of a practice than an actual portrait. The brief was to paint a close up portrait of a horses head and bridle, in any medium, to accurately portray the bridle and the shadows it casts upon the horse. I decided to do oils because it's the medium I'd most like to master and I'm sure Mel can offer me lots of help.
I found a free reference photo online and started work before Christmas. I've blocked in the main colours of the horse, some more refining is needed before I can start detailing though. Tomorrow I''m going to finish off the basic parts of the bridle and to try and blend the horse into the black background somewhat.
I'm not entirely happy, the canvas quality isn't great and it shows, this photo that I have taken isn't the best either. In fact, it looks pretty ugly at this stage. But that is what the course is all about, I can't expect to master something straight away, it will be great to get feedback once it's completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment